Driver Education Application Information, Summer 2017
Please read the following information carefully to determine if this is the right program for you.
- Student must be 15 1/2 – 19 years of age and must have their current Hawaii State Learners Permit on the application date.
- Student and a parent or legal guardian must attend the MANDATORY parent night on Tuesday May 30, 6-7:30pm in the MHS LIBRARY.
- Student must attend all 25 classroom sessions plus MANDATORY parent night. (see calendar below) Students will not be excused for any tardies, absences, vacations, or early releases.
- Students must be able to complete 40 hours of daylight practice driving and 10 hours of night practice driving with a licensed adult (over age 21)
- Cost: there is a NON-REFUNDABLE $10 registration fee payable on the first day of class.
- Applications MUST be submitted in person by student on: Thursday May 25, 2017 outside P-28B from 2:15- 4:00PM—NO EXCEPTIONS!
The student must apply in person only on Thursday May 25th , 2017 from 2:15 to 4:00PM in front of room P-28B (Mr. Jeffs room) with the following documents:
1. A valid Hawaii State Learners Permit
2. The attached application form signed by the student and a parent or guardian.
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT arrive early and disturb classes (the order of sign-up does not impact the selection process)
Procedure for Selection:
- Students will be randomly selected via lottery by an MHS administrator.
- Four alternate students will be randomly selected from the completed applications.
- All selected students will be notified by a posted list on Friday May 26th 2017 on the door of room P-28B.
- All selected students AND parent or guardian must attend the MANDATORY PARENT NIGHT Tuesday May 30th 2017 from 6:00-7:30 p.m in the MHS Library. If the parent cannot be present with the student, please send a replacement responsible adult relative (e.g. grandparent) for the evening. Those not present or accounted for will be replaced with alternates.
- Alternate students will be notified by phone if space becomes available and should not attend parent night.
Meeting Schedule and Hours:
1. Please see Calendar below for required class dates: (If class is cancelled for any reason, the dates will be extended)
2. Attendance at every class session is MANDATORY. Please check your schedule ahead of time and DO NOT APPLY if the student cannot attend every classroom session.
3. Students are responsible for transportation to and from class & BTW.
4. The 12 hours of Behind the Wheel (BTW) will be scheduled at the mutual convenience of student and instructor and will begin in June and likely finish in late July or August
Maui High Driver Education Summer 2017
May, June, July
Applications Due: Thursday May 25th 2:15-4:00pm Room